Basmati Rice – 1 cup (washed and kept aside for 20 minutes)
water – 2 cups (hot)
onion – 1 (chopped)
A handful for nuts – (cashews, raisins, peanuts)
Funnel seeds – 1 tsp
suger – 1 tsp
butter/ghee – 1tbsp
Black cardamom – 1
green cardamom – 2 -3
cloves – 4
cinnamon – 1 inch
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
salt – to taste
turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
bay leaf – 2
- Coarsely crush Black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and keep aside.
- Heat butter/Ghee in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, funnel seeds, bay leaf and the coarsely ground spices. Saute it for a minute and now add chopped onion.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add the nuts and saute for another minute
- Add Rice, salt, sugar and turmeric powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add hot water and mix well
- Cover the pan with a lid. And simmer the stove to minimum.
- Cook it for 15 – 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Switch off the stove and serve hot with some pickle / raita and enjoy