- Coarsely crush Black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and keep aside.
- Heat butter/Ghee in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, funnel seeds, bay leaf and the coarsely ground spices. Saute it for a minute and now add chopped onion.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add the nuts and saute for another minute
- Add Rice, salt, sugar and turmeric powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add hot water and mix well
- Cover the pan with a lid. And simmer the stove to minimum.
- Cook it for 15 – 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Switch off the stove and serve hot with some pickle / raita and enjoy